Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Skeleton Krewe marches le Krewe of d'Etat

This has been quite a month for us in New Orleans.  Yesterday (Ash Wednesday) we were all finally able to catch our breath and slow down a bit.  It has been a crazy non-stop whirlwind of Superbowl and Mardi Gras madness for over a month, and as much as I'll miss the chaos I'm thankful that it's over...for now.  Though it has taken me a bit longer to get through all the pictures I took, I never feel like I'm caught up anyway, so the feeling is nothing new.

I was lucky enough to receive an email from a member of Skeleton Krewe asking me to photograph their annual march in Krewe of d'Etat.  I jumped on the opportunity as it's something I've wanted to do for awhile.  I notice these guys around town every Mardi Gras have always thought of what a great subject they would make.  It didn't take me long to find out that they were a part of some masked secret society that gets together every Mardi Gras to show off their latest creation- a one of a kind skull.  What they do the rest of the year remains a mystery.  They are an extremely secretive bunch, and I'm almost scared to show you these pics...but I don't think they know where I live so I'm good.

Like I said, I've wanted to shoot these guys for awhile so when I got the email it was a no brainer.  I marched some of the way with them and it was really a lot of fun.  Enjoy.  

Krewe of d'Etat gets ready to roll.







Security Krewe...not to be messed with.  






Their leader.






























"Do not engage!"

I had only heard rumors about this "doubloon" guy, but they were all true.  The best way not to get a doubloon?  Ask for one. Better yet, BEG for one.  


















No comments:

Post a Comment