Monday, August 22, 2011

Film is not dead!

I just shot my film roll of film, so I can now officially say that. I used my mother's old Olympus OM-1 and loaded it with Kodak B&W 400TX, a professional black and white film that's been around since the early 50's. I did have to take it to three different places in town before I found someone who could develop it, but I can't wait to see the results.

I have to admit, there is definitely an anticipation that you just don't get with digital. Film is almost like magic. You are literally making an image from a chemical reaction, and when you look at the final result it just has a depth that digital doesn't. It's all fascinating stuff. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself here, I haven't even seen the results of my first roll of film...but if they come out nice, I would love to get more into it. Film is definitely more of an art.

Now I am not knocking digital at all, I love it- couldn't do much without it. But for those days when I'm feeling a bit more artsy, film is the way to go. I'm looking to get a Rolleiflex next.

Good video:

No comments:

Post a Comment