Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Photography in 1946: Nothing has changed


This video from 1946 is proof that nothing changes.  There is nothing new under the sun.  Sure, most of us may have gone digital, and now use photoshop instead of actually tools to touch up the negative, but the idea and practical use of photography hasn't changed one bit.  Light is light.  In the end how it is captured and developed largely doesn't matter.  In the end it's all about the print.

What is funny to me is how much more skill was involved back in the day.  Sure, it takes a great amount of vision and technical skill these days to pull off a great shot, but I can assure you that 80% of "pros" these days wouldn't know the first step to developing or especially retouching their own negative.  Myself included.

That being said, I love shooting film and I am fascinated by wet plate photography and huge large format box cameras, but I have yet to take the plunge.  I still eye those old 6x6 Rolleiflexs everyday on Ebay everyday.  One day....one day.

Enjoy this video on photography from 1946.  Change a couple of words here and there and this could have been made today.

No comments:

Post a Comment