Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Puss Caterpillar


I love my 100mm macro lens...I simply don't use it enough.  Paired with my 7D (which makes it even longer) it can make the most mundane thing seem larger than life.  The perfect example being this caterpillar, who wasn't even as big as a quarter.  After seeing these things everywhere and realizing they weren't moving cotton balls, I knew I had to photograph one.  So I picked one up and put it in a plastic cup.  Seemed harmless at the time.

It wasn't until after handling and photographing this seemingly harmless creature that I googled it and realized that it's actually the most poisonous caterpillar in the US.  The Megalopyge opercularis, or as it's known on the street, the Pussy moth (I'm not kidding), has venomous spines and actually spits acid at its victims.  I didn't experience any of this, but maybe he just liked me.  Anyway, check out more about the thing here.

It almost looks like a dog from above.





That's one hairy little dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment